Wednesday, December 9, 2009

update from today's meeting 9/12/09

We have agreed to the following process over the next 7 weeks:

  • Build a wiki with information to support the Web 2.0 process - Paul and Andrew
  • Use the 23 things website to create our intranet page and support the learning program - Ross
  • Build the training manuals - Lenore and Lhan
  • Design the information sessions and prepare the staff advertisement rollout - Zixiao, Jen and Nath
Good luck and don't forget to ask if you have any queries.

Next meeting 23 December 3-4pm in TR3 and then 27th Jan same time and place and we will meet weekly from then on.

Lhan

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lhan,
    I was thinking I wouldn't mind starting with RSS feeds for the manuals - planning to have it knocked out by Xmas. I figure once the first is done, the rest will fall into the framework with little drama
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I think starting the training with RSS feeds would be a great idea too (not just the writing of the manuals).

    Of the Web 2.0 tools we are planning on 'teaching' first, I think the real hands-on, practical applications of RSS feeds would help us with 'buy-in' and staff engagement. Although it can get a bit overwhelming when you don't check your feeds for a little while, having just one place to go to see what new journal articles, blogs, news, etc are available on your favourite topics (work-based and personal) is great! Or is it just me that thinks this?

    Anyway, Happy Friday!!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Caroline! I LOVE my RSS feeds and I think it would be a great jumping off point.
    My theory is also that -if anyone actually remembers the Outlook training from last year- we've already covered it. So it might spark something in people when they realise that they actually can work with some of these tools.

    So far I've been just copying and pasting bits of text, instructions and a couple of pictures into a word doc and I actually used more from Outlook help and info than I did from the '23 things' because I'm working with the idea that Outlook will be the best entry point for people. '23 things' suggests using bloglines, but I think maybe that would be best kept to the people who feel more comfortable with things (eg advanced class :p)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenore,

    I think RSSing with Outlook is probably the way to go, particularly at the start. Although I actually chose to use Bloglines initially, I now use a bit of both.

    For ease of use, not only are people familiar with Outlook functionality/look already, but I've noticed that whenever you subscribe to a feed using Internet Explorer's default feed program, the feeds automatically appear in your Outlook feeds list. This connection doesn't exist between Bloglines and Outlook so you always have to go to the Bloglines website to view your feeds. With Outlook, most people have it open and easily accessible all day.

    Just thoughts anyway.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys,

    Thanks for your comments, I have been quite busy of late and just getting to the blogposts now. I agree that Outlook should be the preferred method of training with RSS feeds for the exact reasons you have given above Lenore and Caroline.Remember we need to keep as much familiarity with work processes from the point of view of engaging the participants. If we show them something completely new altogether they may run! Some require a lot of hand holding and RSS feeds through Outlook has already been taught before so it would be great to re-hash that training. I agree with Bloglines for the more advanced users who are happy to be challenged.

    Lhan

    ReplyDelete